- CARTA/NCSU Director – Dr. Rada Chirkova, Professor of Computer Science at NC State University
Dr. Chirkova’s research is focused on data usability, data readiness, and health-care information technology. Her specific areas of expertise are in the efficiency of processing of complex queries, and in data and query reformulation. She has written and co-written two books in her areas of expertise, and has published a total of over 60 peer-reviewed journal articles, conference and workshop articles, and book chapters. Dr. Chirkova is the Director of the Science of Technologies for End-to-end Enablement of Data (STEED) research lab in the NC State Computer Science Department and was the Director of the NC State site of the Center for Hybrid Multicore Productivity Research IUCRC.
- CARTA/NCSU Associate Director – Dr. David Wright, PMP, Director for Project Management, NC State Computer Science Department
Dr. Wright’s area of expertise is in program and project management. As the Director for Project Management, Dr. Wright provides program and project management support for a variety of medium- to large-scale multi-institutional research efforts, particularly those involving University-Industry collaborations. He has served as the Associate Director of the NC State site of the Center for Hybrid Multicore Productivity Research IUCRC and as the Program Coordinator for the NC State Science of Security Lablet.
This is a dynamic list as we work to find faculty throughout the University to work on broader areas of long-term interest identified by the Center’s Industry Advisory Board.
- Dr. Gregory Byrd, Professor and Associate Department Head, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Expertise: High-performance parallel systems and servers, with a particular focus on mechanisms that reduce communication overhead in parallel and distributed systems.
- Dr. Huaiyu Dai, Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Expertise: Networked information processing and crosslayer design, cognitive radio networks, multiuser communications and networks, edge computing.
- Dr. Jon Doyle, SAS Institute Distinguished Professor, Department of Computer Science
Expertise: Mathematical foundations of computer science and artificial intelligence; formal representations for knowledge, learning, and reasoning.
- Dr. Rudra Dutta, Professor, Computer Science Department, and Technical Lead, CentMesh NCSU
Expertise: Internet and SDN architecture, network analytics, optical network design, mobile computing and sensing systems.
- Dr. Vincent W. Freeh, Associate Professor, Department of Computer Science
Expertise: Distributed systems, file systems, and operating systems.
- Dr. Christopher G. Healey, Professor, Department of Computer Science
Expertise: visualization, data and visual analytics, visual perception and visual cognition, large-data management.
- Dr. Michael Kowolenko, Teaching Assistant Professor and Industrial Fellow at the Center for Innovation Management Studies, College of Management
Expertise: business-oriented data and knowledge management, data-driven decisions.
- Dr. Shih-Chun Lin, Assistant Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Expertise: Internet of Things (IoT), cyberphysical systems, cloudification, edge computing.
- Dr. Timothy Menzies, Professor, Department of Computer Science
Expertise: learning analytics, tuning for software analytics, crowdsourcing and software engineering.
- Dr. Carl Meyer, Professor, Department of Mathematics
Expertise: numerical analysis and matrix computations, applied linear algebra, discrete Markov chains, data mining and cluster analytics, network analysis and Web search.
- Dr. Kemafor Anyanwu Ogan, Associate Professor and Director of Semantic Computing Research Laboratory, Department of Computer Science
Expertise: Web / Big-Data analytics and management, its broader applications; services computing.
- Dr. David L. Roberts, Assistant Professor and Director of Computational Intelligence and Interactive Games Research Laboratory, Department of Computer Science
Expertise: computational modeling of human behavior, decision making, and cognition with an emphasis on designing interactive virtual environments for data collection and model validation.
- Dr. Nagiza F. Samatova, Professor, Department of Computer Science
Expertise: data science, with emphasis on data management and analysis at extreme scale, scalable algorithms, and high performance computing.
- Dr. Raju Vatsavai, Associate Professor, Department of Computer Science and Associate Director of the Center for Geospatial Analytics
Expertise: the intersection of spatial and temporal big data management, analytics, and high performance computing with applications in the national security, geospatial intelligence, natural resources, climate change, location-based services, and human terrain mapping.
- Dr. Alyson Wilson, Professor, Department of Statistics
Expertise: Bayesian methods, information integration, statistics for problems in defense and security.
- Dr. Lian Xie, Professor, Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences Department, and Director, Coastal Fluid Dynamics Laboratory
Expertise: Marine meteorology, air-sea interactions, hurricane and storm-surge prediction, regional climate, numerical modeling.